Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Peace on Earth, Goodwill towards Men.

Yes, I know of all the lies. Jesus was most probably NOT born anytime around December 25th. Yes, Christmas was most probably put in December to coincide with Yule, a pagan holiday of light, and Hanuka, the Jewish festival of lights. Yes, Santa Claus has nothing to do with Jesus. I know that Hallmark, along with retailers the world over, want us all to buy stuff, and probably propagated the holiday for their own selfish profits.
All I've got to say to that is, so what?
I spent many years, thinking I was righteous, trying to enlighten the world by refusing to "buy in" to what I thought was a sucker's holiday. I celebrated Yule (actually a beautiful holiday with traditions familiar to most), told all my friends and relatives not to send "Christmas presents" or "Christmas cards", but to send "Yule" substitutes instead. Any time someone would say "Merry Christmas", I would reply with a self-righteous "Joyous Yule!" Then, one day, it clicked.
I realized that I needed to lighten up. Why not celebrate every chance we get? Let's celebrate the birth of a savior. Let's celebrate the fact that the days are getting longer now until June. Let's celebrate the idea that a magical elf is giving gifts to the children of the world. Most importantly, let's celebrate and practice "Peace on Earth, Goodwill towards Men".
Life is too damned short to try to justify everything. If we have a chance to be happy in this life, we better damned well take it. I'll celebrate just about anything if it means I can get together with long, lost relatives and friends. People walking around wishing each other a good day, Christmas Day or any other, is kinda nice for a change. "Happy Holidays", "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hanuka", "Joyous Yule", "Happy Anachronismas", "Happy Kwanzaa", or whatever the hell else you have a chance to celebrate!
Today, I wish you all heaven here on Earth. May you all get just a little better than what you have coming to you. May you all know that someone loves you, and may you be able to spend enough time with that someone that they know you love them, too.
To all my friends who I don't pay enough attention to, I apologize and send my love. To all the friends I have yet to meet, may God hold you in His hand so that you may arrive safely to the day we become friends.
To anyone offended by "Merry Christmas", may your heart be softened enough for you to realize that "Merry Christmas" is not the most offensive thing a person could say to you, and that they are just trying to wish you well, regardless of your beliefs.
And anyone out there who hopes I have a happy day, go ahead and wish me one!
Lastly, may 2009 be the year your goals are met and all your dreams come true!

P.S. Sorry to my Jewish brothers and sisters. At least I can spell Yom Kippur!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know when wishing someone a Merry Christmas, became so offensive. I know that store employee's are actually told not to wish anyone a Merry Christmas. I never thought I would see something like that here in America. Why have we become so intolerant of other peoples thoughts, ideas and ways of life?
    So for you Michael, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I love you.

    ReplyDelete